Not everyone has an interest in reading. However, reading a book has its benefits. Aside from being a recreational activity, reading a book can help sharpen the mind, lower stress levels, improve vocabulary, and many more. It’s important to make reading a habit to be able to enjoy its many benefits. This 2020, you can make it a habit to read a book. It may sound difficult but it’s easier than you think.
Ways to Make Reading a Habit
It’s never too late to start reading. If you’re just starting this year, don’t get discouraged. You can still make reading a part of your daily routine using these helpful tips:
1. Set a time. You need to develop a reading routine to make it a daily habit. Set a specific time when you can allow yourself to enjoy a good book. Once you’ve set a time, it’s easier for you to have room to have a good read.
2. Find a good book. What makes a book a good one? Well, it depends on your preference. If you’re still a beginner or you’re just starting to include reading to your everyday schedule, it’s best to look for a book that’s easy to read. Don’t worry. We have a few recommendations below.
3. Create a reading space. Find a quiet place to read. Whether it’s in your bedroom or your office, you need a space where you can fully immerse yourself in the book. Avoid noisy places or reading beside the television or radio, as it may disrupt your reading experience.
4. Carry a book with you. When you’ve found a good book, try bringing it with you wherever you go. When you find time to read, continue the chapters of the book. Whenever you find yourself needing to pass the time, get your book instead of your mobile device or your gadgets.
5. Create a list. Once you’ve finished a book, you can create a list of titles that you wish to read. A list can help you keep track of all the books you’ve read and will read. It will be easier to stick to your habit when you have a list or a guide.
Easy Read Books to Make Reading a Habit
Here are some recommendations to start a reading habit this year.
The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Children and adults cherish this classic book because of its captivating story. It’s about a narrator who crashes his plane in the Sahara desert. With little to no resources to survive, the narrator encounters a little prince, who asks the former to draw a sheep. The little prince and narrator become friends who have various conversations on the little prince’s origin, where the little prince came from, and more. You can grab a copy from Amazon.
Charlotte’s Web by E. B. White
This may be a children’s literature but it’s a book that all ages have grown to love. It’s about a baby pig that’s almost slaughtered because of its small stature. Considered as having no value and useless, the baby pig is still saved by a girl named Fern Arable. When the pig is sent to the farm, it befriends a spider and the two continued to protect one another throughout the story. This is available on Amazon.
The Giver by Lois Lowry
This is also an easy read. It’s about a society in which the government controls all the citizen’s freedom to choose their spouse, occupations, emotions, and others. While others let the government assert their control, one boy plans to put an end to it. You can purchase a copy from Amazon.
The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank
Here’s one of the most compelling documentations of the Holocaust. This book is a record of how a Jewish girl was able to overcome fear, deprivation, and every worst thing you can imagine. You can get this from Amazon.
Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami
Haruki Murakami has a knack for enticing and engaging with readers with every page. This book ignites a reader’s emotion as he or she reads through the story. This is one of the author’s most famous novels and it is about two different characters whose paths intertwine. A fifteen-year-old Kafka is a runaway and an old man Nakata who ends up with a profession as a cat finder are the main characters of the novel. Get this and see how their paths cross. This novel is available on Amazon.
World War Z by Max Brooks
If you want a more exciting and thrilling read, this is the one for you. This is a story about survival: the living versus the undead. This book will keep you on the edge of your seat as you read each page. It’s a recount of the battle between humans and zombies. This book is available on Amazon.
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
This is a story of resilience, heartbreak, courage, and friendship. This is a novel about Hazel Grace; a girl with a Stage IV thyroid cancer with a metastasis developing in her lungs. She attends a cancer support group and meets Augustus. One encounter leads to a romance. She experiences love, travel, and tragedy in the story but still manages to stay strong in the end. You can grab this from Amazon.
The Little Book of Hygge: Danish Secrets to Happy Living by Meik Wiking
The Danes are one of the world’s happiest people. If you’re wondering why, you need to read this book. Hygge is the reason behind Danes’ happiness and this book explains everything and teaches you how to practice it. You don’t need fancy things. In fact, this book lets you find happiness in even the simplest things such as comfy socks, cozy sofa, cuddly pillow, and a hot cup of coffee. Buy this book from Amazon and start practicing Hygge.
Me Before You by Jojo Moyes
Here’s another story that touches the heart. It shows how love can be found in unexpected places and people. This is a story about a woman who was hired and tasked to take care of a man, who’s quadriplegic. Each page will keep you glued to the story as the love story between the two characters unfolds. Grab a copy from Amazon.
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by J. K. Rowling
Once you open this book you must be ready. You’ll enter into a magical world that in every page. It’s a story about the Boy Who Lived and his many adventures. This is the first book of the series. We’re sure you’ll grab the next 6 once you’re done with this one. After this, you’ll truly become a Potterhead. Buy your own copy from Amazon.
You can also check out these other books:
These books can help you make reading a habit easily. Take one page at a time and you’ll get used to reading books in no time. Find a good read and enjoy the pages whenever you can. Follow these tips and you’ll learn to love reading.